Based on developments to date, CO2 Solutions has demonstrated several significant benefits which position its enzyme-accelerated process as an efficient new option for carbon capture from virtually any source of CO2 -containing combustion gas. These include:
- Reduction in cost (CAPEX and OPEX) of at least one-third compared to a state-of-the-art conventional monethanolamine process at 90% CO2 capture;
- Operation of absorber and stripper at low temperature, enabling the use of zero-value warm streams for stripping instead of high-grade heat;
- No requirement for rich-lean solvent exchanger;
- High solvent stability and no susceptibility to heat degradation;
- No toxic aerosol emissions;
- Ability of solvent to accommodate higher levels of flue gas contaminants; reduced requirement for gas pre-treatment;
- Lower corrosivity;
- Simple and easy-to-manage process with the enzyme catalyst flowing homogeneously with the solvent and low temperature operation providing for long lifespan of enzyme;
- Enzyme supply diversity through multiple sources of industrially bioengineered CA enzymes which can be manufactured at large scale;
- Process generating high purity CO2 (up to 99.9%); ideal for CO2 reuse applications.
CO2 Solutions’ breakthrough technology is ideally suited to address the significant opportunities for profitable carbon reuse as well as carbon sequestration for climate change mitigation.